Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Need for Embrace Couture

Heyyyy everybody!

I just got back from taking my little sister out for her birthday. I actually took her to meet one of her favorite actors Nicholas Brendan from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. We have been going to those types of conventions for awhile now and she always gets super excited when she sees him. Totally worth the long lines and crazy crowds. We are Buffy lovers so we do love conventions like this. We don't get into all the costumes and things like that but we do get all hyped up when we see our favorite stars. Today I actually did already meet most of the people there besides Julie Benz, so I got her picture and autograph today. :) It was more for my sister than myself anyway.

I'm not writing this though to just talk about my day to you guys,. Unfortunately, and I hate to word it this way, but the Buffy fans are some of the most "normal" I guess you could say. No way really dresses up and gets into costumes and paints heir whole body silver like some of the other fan genres do. I hate to use the word normal but I am just trying to make everyone understand my point. As I walked through the lines and I heard a lot of negative comments about some of the girls bodies that dressed in the costumes. For example, there was a girl dressed like Wonder Woman, I would never call her heavy or overweight but she wasn't super skinny either. Her costume looked somewhat small on her and someone made a comment about how she was bubbling over her costume. Well she overheard and to see her face drop broke my heart. Next time I saw her she was changed into normal clothes and just looking defeated. The look on her face just made me realize even more how important it is to spread the word of healthy body image. That girl took a huge risk today and got her feelings destroyed. And I regret not telling her to wear her costume proud and tell everyone else she didn't care what they thought. Girls shouldn't have to feel like they have to live up to a supermodel standard. And that is why I am working on this clothing line. Every time my sewing machine jams or my fingers get needle poked I can keep on going and hopefully eventually help girls have more inner peace with their body.

Wear your costumes proud ladies and EMBRACE YOUR BODY!!! <3

xoxo, Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment